Simplicity is your friend in the kitchen; easy to follow recipes with just a few ingredients can be a lifesaver in those times when you just don’t have a clue what to prepare. This recipe is perfect for those very moments! There may be just a few simple ingredients, but roasting the veggies results in a delicious end result that is much greater than the sum of its parts!
Feel free to use your favorite veggies, just choose the freshest you can find for the best flavor. Anything goes here, you could add a splash of balsamic vinegar, spice things up with a pinch of chili pepper, or even switch out the quinoa for whole wheat pasta or cauliflower rice!
1 large eggplant
2 small zucchini (or a mix of zucchini and summer squash if available)
1 pound cherry tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic (optional)
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Half the cherry tomatoes then chop the eggplant and zucchini into small but chunky pieces.
- Place the vegetables onto a baking tray, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. If using garlic, keep the skin on the cloves and add them to the mix.
- Roast in the oven at 375 degrees F/190 degrees C for 35-45 minutes, until lightly golden.
- In the meantime, make the quinoa. Add the quinoa to a saucepan and cover with double the quantity of water. Bring to the boil, then simmer until tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 -20 minutes.
- Fluff with the quinoa with a fork, then add the roasted veggies and mix well. If using garlic, squeeze the roasted garlic from it’s skin and add to the quinoa.
Great warm or even cold the next day, this quinoa salad should be on everyone’s recipe rotation. Let us know what you think in the comments below!