Whether it’s grabbing a piece of toast while running out the door, picking up something sugar-laden on the way to work or skipping breakfast altogether, we’re all guilty sometimes of not giving the most important meal of the day the thought it deserves.
So, as those extra few minutes of sleep in the morning are so incredibly precious, we’ve put together a list of our favorite make-ahead breakfasts. Continue sleeping soundly in the knowledge that a nutritious breakfast is already waiting for you, thanks to a minimal amount of effort the night before.
- Megan’s Morning Glory Oatmeal. It may sound surprising but porridge is actually well suited to being reheated, meaning you can easily make a big batch to eat later in the week. This vegan porridge uses coconut milk and is flavored with cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Cook a big batch for the family, or put separate portions in containers ready to be reheated in the microwave or on the stove as needed.
- Paleo Stuffed Breakfast Peppers. If you’re trying to introduce more vegetables into your diet then these stuffed peppers are a great place to start. Adapt your choice of vegetable as the seasons change, mix with egg and pour into halved peppers. After 30 minutes in the oven, you’ve prepared breakfast for the next few days!
- Chia Pudding with Dried Apricots and Pineapple. Bring a little sunshine to your weekday mornings with this tropical chia seed breakfast! It’s a cinch to make too, just whisk chia seeds with almond milk and 2 teaspoons of agave and leave in the fridge overnight. By morning, all that’s left to do is top with dried fruit and enjoy!
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Omelette. Frittatas and omlettes are a protein-packed breakfast option, but if you’re pushed for time in the mornings do the preparation the night before. This recipe calls for a 2-hour cook on high so set the timer on your slow cooker, then forget about it til morning when your veggie omelette will be ready and waiting for you!
- Super Easy Baked Fruit. Start your day with a not-so-typical fruit salad. This recipe opts for apple, strawberry, raspberries, blackberries and banana, roasted for a nutritious breakfast that almost seems like dessert. Roast whatever fruit you have in the kitchen the night before and enjoy a delicious and stress-free breakfast the next day.
What’s your favorite breakfast? Let us know in the comments!