With a sweet and aromatic flavor and fragrant green perfume, we love basil. Pick up a fresh and leafy bunch at the farmer’s market or grocery store however, and you’ve got one, maybe two days max before it gets sad and wilts into an unusable mess.
It’s a race against time so get prepared with our five favorite basil recipes and never let this herb go to waste again!
- Basic Basil Pesto. Forget one or two leaves as a garnish and use a whole bunch of basil in a classic pesto. Great as a pasta sauce, used to flavor soups or eaten with meats or fish. What’s more, the strong flavor means you just need a spoonful at a time – ideal for keeping tabs on portion control.
- Lemon-Basil Three Bean Salad. Fresh, light and full of fiber and protein, this three-bean salad is flavored with basil and lemon for a simple but satisfying lunch. Use whatever beans you have in the cupboards and even feel free to throw in some tomato or cucumber.
- Zesty Zucchini Basil Soup. Zucchini is high in dietary fiber and a good source of vitamin C and manganese, but they can start to become a little boring at times. Use basil to liven things up in this simple but flavorsome soup! The leftovers are even delicious cold so don’t think soup is just for colder months.
- Roasted Corn And Basil Stuffed Tomatoes. Summery tomatoes stuffed with roasted corn, brown rice and a hefty dose of fresh basil – this recipe will soon be a firm favorite! If you’re watching your fat intake just go sparingly with the grated cheese sprinkled over the top. Top tip: use a muffin tin to ensure the tomatoes stay upright during cooking!
- Chicken With Peaches And Basil. Don’t get stuck in a rut serving chicken breast in the same old way. Instead say goodbye to routine and serve it with sautéed peaches and chopped basil. It might sound like an unlikely pairing at first, but trust us – you’ll be making this again.
Have you been inspired to cook more with basil? Share your recipes with us below!