With that in mind, we’ve collected five healthier alternatives to store-bought and prepackaged nibbles. Entertain your guests in style this year with beautiful appetizers straight from your kitchen.
1. Mustard-Ginger Shrimps. These spiced, flavorsome shrimps taste even better after resting in the fridge for a couple of hours. So prep them in advance and simply arrange on wedges of pita when your guests are about to arrive.
2. Salmon and Cucumber Bites. Smoked salmon is a favorite at Christmas and the health benefits of omega-3 fatty acids are well known. These bite size snacks switch out bread with cucumber for a lighter, fresher and crunchier alternative. Top with fresh dill for a traditional finish.
3. Sardine Rillettes. Transform a boring tin of sardines into a delicious pate with this recipe. Spread on crackers and you’ve got a fancy appetizer for your guests. Flavored with capers, lime and cayenne pepper, they feel much fancier than you might think!
4. Mushroom Polenta Appetizers. It might not be your first thought when making appetizers but polenta makes a great base for toppings! We love this mixed mushroom topping; flavored with thyme and a very small amount of vermouth it complements the neutral polenta well.
5. Beetroot and Goats Cheese Cups. Quick to put together, great for vegetarians and no cooking required, these beetroot appetizers tick all the boxes! What’s more, they even look stunning – we can’t get enough of the bright purple-red color the beetroot brings to the party. Yum.
What appetizers have you wowed your guests with? Share your appetizer ideas in the comments!