When I am chatting with clients and potential clients I find that in our busy lives, many times there is a real struggle to carve out time for ourselves.
We can’t seem to justify the resources and/or mind share for us to do the things that help us be healthier, actively practice stress lowering, getting sleep and finding moments of joy.
Newsflash! Self Care ISN’T Selfish!
I feel the current portrayal of self-care is backward — it’s characterized as an indulgence. This means both that the practice of self-care is something we are occasionally allowed to indulge in and that self-care should feel like an indulgence.
But I’m here to tell you that self-care is not an indulgence. Self-care is a discipline!
It requires tough-mindedness, a deep and personal understanding of your priorities, and a respect for both yourself and the people you choose to spend your life with.
For example, self care IS:
- Turning off the TV instead of watching another episode of Netflix so you can get up at 5am and get to the gym.
- Declining the second drink at the office off-site or weeknight dinner out. It might even be declining the first drink.
- Saying “no” to the thing that won’t further your purpose, priorities, and goals, even if someone may be angry with you.
- Letting other people take care of themselves. Their “garden” isn’t always “your garden”
- Not letting “to do lists” keep you from making time to slow down and be mindful.
If we are being honest, self-care is actually kind of boring.
Which is why self-care is a discipline. It takes discipline and smart habits to do the things that are good for us instead of what feels good in the moment. And it takes discipline to take full and complete responsibility for our own well-being.
We are the ONLY ONES WHO CAN CHANGE OURSELVES.
Make taking care of YOU, INSIDE AND OUT, a priority! 🙂
Would you like help figuring out some small changes you can make to get to your goals and build more balance? How to make YOUR SELF CARE more of a PRIORITY?
I’d love to hear from you and how I can help you be YOUR BEST YOU this year (and the rest of your life!). So please reply here and let’s talk!
Have a great week!
In good health,