The holidays may be over but there are still get togethers to prepare for! Whether you have a book club meetup or a President’s Day bash, we’ve got you covered.
It’s not too difficult to mix and match healthy items and to prepare appetizers that satisfy the whole family’s palate. See our suggestions below for some healthy items to start your next get together in a light and fun manner!
- Smoked Salmon Platter. This a very low maintenance appetizer which pairs well with light veggies like cucumbers or sprinkled with capers. Salmon is high in protein as well as Vitamin D, magnesium and selenium. If you want to pour on the protein, add a hardboiled egg like this recipe does.
- Healthy Cheese Plate. Yes, we know, cheese brings up some controversy if we say it’s a healthy food, but the key is moderation and variety (don’t forget to add some veggies or fruit to the platter). Don’t forget that it can provide a good source of protein and calcium. Keep portion size in mind as well as the types of cheeses you select. Try this platter which recommends cheeses lower in fat like Parmesan, Mozzarella and Swiss.
- Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms. This classic leafy green which is available year round is high in protein and iron. Stuff it into bite size cremini mushrooms for a bite sauce, savory treat. Add calcium to the appetizer by sprinkling on a bit of Parmesan cheese.
- Mini Turkey Meatballs. Traditional meatballs are great, but turkey balls are lower in fat and in calories. This recipe is great because it mixes in other vegetables. This appetizer can be served alone with toothpicks and festive napkins.
- Low Fat Onion Dip. Dips are delicious but they can also be dangerous if you eat ones that are high in fat and sodium. It is also important to serve dips with fresh vegetables when possible instead of bread or crackers. Try this tasty onion dip recipe that is made with low fat ingredients.
What’s your favorite healthy appetizer? Share in the comments below!