From milkshakes topped with donuts to super-sized burgers with cheese-drowned sides, 2016 was dominated by the super-sized and the super unhealthy. Looks like extreme eating is set to make way for some healthier food trends in 2017!
Here are five recipes using food we’re likely to be seeing more of very soon.
1. BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches. As vegetarian and vegan cuisine becomes even more prevalent, we’ll definitely see more meat alternatives in our kitchens. Whilst any half decent home cook can work wonders with tofu, we’re definitely ready for something to shake it up. Look out for jackfruit, whose meaty texture works great in recipes such as these mock-pulled pork sandwiches.
2. Tomato and Watermelon Salad. After Beyoncé bought a stake in WTRMLN WTR, a watermelon drinks company in 2016, we expect more people to catch on to the deliciousness of this summery fruit. Rather than drink it, we prefer to munch on crunchy and fresh watermelon in this refreshing summer salad.
3. Ahi Poke. If your knowledge of Hawaiian food starts and ends with pineapple pizza, then 2017 is the year for you to explore real Hawaiian cuisine! Ahi Poke is a salad of uncooked, marinated tuna, it looks incredibly pretty and as this recipe shows, it’s actually easy to make!
4. Purple Potato Wedges. Have you started seeing purple yet? Purple cauliflower, asparagus, sweet potatoes and even purple corn are likely to become more easily available in supermarkets. As well as being a feast for the eyes, the color indicates an especially high content of antioxidants and nutrients. Swap out regular potatoes for the colored variety and decide for yourself!
5. Kombucha. Forget jam-making and start using those oh-so trendy mason jars for preserving and fermenting in 2017. Sauerkraut or pickled cucumber is the easy place to start but be adventurous and try a fermented drink as they have tons of health benefits. Kombucha tea for example is full of probiotics to help keep your insides healthy.
What are you looking forward to trying this year? Let us know in the comments!