As Californians, we all know the magic of In-N-Out. It’s a Western American tradition, but not exactly a healthy one! This historic fast food chain might not be the best food to have regularly, or even semi-regularly, but they did get one thing deliciously right: ‘Protein Style!’ A part of their secret menu, ‘Protein Style’ is In-N-Out’s traditional hamburger or cheeseburger wrapped in lettuce leaves instead of a bun. This cuts the calories and carbohydrates of the burger dramatically, while leaving room for more healthy carbs, like fruits and vegetables, on the side. Below we compiled a list of five other meals that work fabulously ‘Protein Style,’ enjoy!
- Lettuce Leaf Tacos. These ground beef tacos are a delicious way to have your Mexican food and eat it too. The recipe is pretty standard, but you can mix it up with all of your favorite taco ingredients. Try setting up a family taco bar where everyone can pick and choose their favorites!
- Turkey Hummus Wrap. The perfect pick me up for the office lunch blues. If you eat a late lunch add the hummus when you eat so the lettuce doesn’t get soggy.
- Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps. Buffalo chicken wings are one of those things that people either love or hate, but if you love them they can be hard to resist on game night! Watch the game on the big screen at home and make this easy crock pot version, which is also low in fat!
- Shrimp Lettuce Wraps With Peanut Dipping Sauce. This Thai-inspired recipe is a fun and different way to enjoy seafood! With avocado and peanuts for healthy fats, this recipe is a winner that you can make again and again.
- Egg Salad Wraps. Say good-bye to soggy sandwich bread! Crunchy lettuce gives this lower carb take on the traditional sandwich an extra special something. Get the recipe here!
Do you have a favorite ‘Protein Style’ recipe? Share in the comments!