You might have turned 100% vegan, or you might just be dipping a toe in the nutrient-rich waters of veganism to see how you like it. Either way, if you’re used to getting most of your protein from meat, eggs and dairy then your weekly shopping list is about to change!
Protein is an essential part of any diet; not only does it take longer to digest than carbohydrates, helping you feel fuller for longer, it also breaks down into amino acids which promote cell growth and repair. To make sure you’re getting enough in your diet, read on for five easy to prepare, protein-packed dishes.
- Thai Veggie Quinoa Bowl. Technically a seed and not a grain, quinoa contains more protein than you might expect – about eight grams per cup. It’s also a complete protein meaning it contains all nine amino acids your body needs. Try it in this veggie-packed salad with a lime, ginger and garlic dressing.
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Burger. Beans – whether they’re navy, black, or pinto – are all excellent sources of protein. Their versatility also means they should be your new BFF in the kitchen, keep a can in the store cupboard so they’ll be on hand to make these protein-rich black bean and sweet potato burgers.
- Tofu Stir Fry. Ranging from soft to firm in texture and containing iron, calcium and other micro-nutrients, tofu is by now a classic source of protein for vegetarians and vegans. Take advantage of its neutral flavor and whip up a punchy sesame, garlic and chili marinade in seconds. Simply chop and mix the ingredients together before sautéing – it couldn’t be simpler!
- Seitan Skewers With Chimichurri CitrusHerb Sauce. Made from wheat gluten, seitan actually has a higher protein content than tofu and is also slightly lower in fat too. Its dense, chewy texture makes it a favorite with vegans who miss meat but can’t eat meat substitutes that are sometimes made with egg or dairy. Pile on the flavor with these citrus and herb seitan skewers.
- Chili Lime Lentil Tacos With Spicy Grilled Pineapple Salsa. As with many foods in the legume family, lentils are a good source of protein while being low in calories. They are easy to digest, affordable and filling – we couldn’t ask for much more! Don’t think lentils are boring either – these Chili Lime Lentil Tacos are a flavorsome and colorful supper!
Are you considering going vegan and need some dietary advice? Ask us anything in the comments below!