Otherwise known as the caveman diet, or the hunter-gatherer diet, eating Paleo is a way to get back to basics with your food. Followers aim to eat as naturally as possible, enjoying an abundance of fruit and veg and opting for whole foods like nuts and seeds. In general grains, dairy and artificial sugars are restricted due to the belief that we can’t digest them well.
If you’re currently following the Paleo diet, you’ll be well aware that breakfast times can be tricky to navigate. Knowing what to eat when time is scarce and energy levels are low is tough.
Thankfully, the Paleo diet includes lean protein such as grass-fed meat, fruit, vegetables and healthy fats from whole foods so it’s not impossible to start the day right.
Here are five breakfast ideas to keep you on track in the morning.
- Eggs Baked in Avocado. Eating Paleo and having an ever-so-trendy avocado for breakfast? So hipster. But more importantly, so delicious and full of healthy monounsaturated fats and protein to boot!
- Sweet Blueberry Lemon Puffed Omelette. This recipe opts for a splash of coconut milk to keep things Paleo but is otherwise similar to an egg white omelette. The addition of blueberries and lemon zest however, make it a great option for a special weekend brunch. Finish in the oven for extra fluffy results!
- No-Bake Energy Bites With Ginger And Turmeric. Great for grabbing when you just need to run straight out the door, these sweet bites will give you a much needed energy boost in the morning. If you’re used to a caffeine hit in the morning you can even coat them in chopped espresso beans.
- Paleo Granola With Coconut And Almonds. Paleo or not, this granola recipe makes for a delicious breakfast. Instead of oats, bulk out the granola with a mixture of seeds like pumpkin, sesame and sunflower. Flavor with cinnamon, cardamom and a drizzle of honey.
- Italian Spaghetti Squash Breakfast Casserole. If you’re having friends over for breakfast opt for this bright and colorful skillet dish. It’s low carb, gluten free and suitable for the Paleo diet so it’s sure to be a crowd pleasure!
Have you tried the Paleo diet? Share your breakfast tips with us in the comments below!