Temperatures are dropping, the heating’s on and those spare Uggs we all use for quick trips out of the house have been dragged out the back of the wardrobe. Now that winter’s officially here, it’s time to make the most of the seasonal root vegetables which are in abundance right now.
Lets face it though; plain old carrots and Thanksgiving yams can get a little monotonous after a while. Here are five recipes to jazz up those trusted root veggies this season!
1. Thyme and Parmesan Beet Risotto. Beet’s distinctive earthy flavor seems to have as many fans as it does haters. Cooking the beetroot in a risotto such as this one with thyme and Parmesan helps it to mellow so this dish should win over any doubters!
2. Chunky Celeriac Chips. Ugly on the outside, packed with nutrition on the inside, celeriac is a winter veg that we should all eat more of. Peel off the knobbly skin and chop into chunky oven chips. Add a little spice to complement the veg’s subtle celery-like flavor and you’ve got a recipe you’ll go back to again and again.
3. Sweet Potato, Chickpea & Spinach Curry. Orange sweet potatoes are an excellent source of beta-caratene which provides us with vitamin A. They also contain vitamin C, manganese, potassium and dietary fiber – no wonder they’re so popular right now. We love this sweet potato, chickpea & spinach curry.
4. Pepper and Honey-Roasted Roots. This recipe makes a great accompaniment to your main course, try it with a classic roast on Christmas for example. You can even add your favorite vegetables to the mix of carrot, celeriac and parsnip and save the leftovers for the next day!
5. Root Veggie Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Sauce. The mellow and sweet flavor of root vegetables can stand up to strong flavors well. Throw some spice at them and whip up these root vegetable enchiladas with cilantro avocado sauce. A great meal for vegetarians and carnivores alike!
Do you have a favorite root veggie recipe? Share it in the comments!