The arrival of spring means more than just longer, sunnier days. Along with the increase in temperature comes new growth and new beginnings. The season is celebrated in many cultures for its transformative effect both in nature and on ourselves.
So as new, colorful foods come into season, what better time to revitalize our cooking with these easy to make midweek suppers, perfect for spring.
1. Pasta Primavera. Primavera literally means ‘spring’ in Italian so it’s no surprise that this dish is a rainbow on a plate! You could switch to whole-wheat pasta or quinoa for a fiber boost and even chuck in whatever extra veggies you’ve got left in the fridge.
2. Garden Veggie Egg Bake. This crustless-quiche needs to bake for 45 minutes so a little planning ahead is required. Thankfully the preparation involves no more than chopping, mixing and putting all the ingredients in the oven. It’s great for kids too – they won’t mind eating their greens when they’re baked in a delicious cheesy egg mixture!
3. Spring Vegetable And Chicken Braise. A braise may not strike you as spring cooking, but this recipe is less of a winter warmer and more of a light stew. With peppery radish, fresh peas, plenty of parsley and a generous squeeze of lemon it’s certainly not lacking in fresh spring flavors!
4. Grilled Shrimp And Noodle Salad. Grilled sweet and spicy shrimp served with rice noodles and flavored with soy sauce, lime and honey. This fresh salad is filling, crunchy and vibrant, just what we’re looking for in a spring supper.
5. Orzo With Lamb, Olives And Feta. A different take on spring lamb, this satisfying dish is ready in just 30 minutes. Spice fans can add an extra pinch of red pepper flakes which work well with the cinnamon and rosemary to create warming, herby backnotes.