Chickpeas, or garbanzo beans, are legumes high in protein, originally cultivated in the Mediterranean and Middle East. The standard chickpea is round and beige, but there are also black, green and red varieties. In addition to their high protein content they are also a good source of fiber.
Chickpeas can be purchased dry or canned and they are a great ingredient to cook with. In addition to their nutritional benefits they also have a long shelf life. Check out some of our suggestions below in order to incorporate this legume easily into your diet!
- Hummus. Without stating the obvious hummus is delicious and versatile and a general crowd pleaser at parties. With just a couple ingredients hummus can function as a dip, spread or even garnish to a variety of dishes. We recommend this recipe by Jamie Oliver.
- Chickpea Salad. Not only do chickpeas add protein to salads but they also add a hearty texture that mixes well with vegetables. Try them by mixing them with brussel sprouts for a unique flavor.
- Chana Masala. This healthy dish derived from Indian cuisine is delicious and makes a complete meal on its own. Try this healthy version from the Minimalist Baker.
- Chickpea Fajitas. Since they have a high protein content and they fill you up easily, chickpeas can replace meat in these fajitas. This recipe is great because it uses harissa cream, linking chickpeas to their Mediterranean roots.
- Falafel. This deliciously satisfying Mediterranean invention made with a base of chickpeas is excellent eaten alone or in a wrap or sandwich. Try this recipe for a falafel bowl.
What’s your favorite way to cook chickpeas? Leave us a comment below.