There is nothing like a casserole to make you feel at home during the chilly months. When you are in the mood for a little comfort food, a casserole can make an excellent hearty meal. Because they contain a variety of ingredients, it is a great chance to combine several food groups into one dish. They are also great because they can often be prepared beforehand.
Below we have compiled a list of some of the most festive and tasty options for the winter season.
- Broccoli Casserole. This vegetable is an excellent choice as a casserole base because it’s a great source of vitamins K and C as well as potassium and fiber. The classic version of this casserole can be a heavy one loaded with cheese and butter but it’s possible to pull off a delicious healthier version. Try this recipe made with low fat cream cheese and whole wheat bread.
- Cashew Chicken Quinoa Bake. This tasty dish is a great way to add some protein into your repertoire. The mixed textures of cashews, quinoa and chicken make for a great bite together. Quinoa is also a nutrient rich alternative to rice that completes the dish.
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole. Spaghetti squash is an excellent addition to any diet as it is significantly lower in calories than pasta with a higher protein count. It’s very easy to cook and prepare and goes excellently with sauces and other vegetables. Try this recipe for a delicious casserole option.
- Green Bean Casserole. This tends to be a great holiday option as the color scheme goes well for the occasion. This recipe mixes in tomatoes and bread crumbs with other low fat ingredients to make a casserole with less than 200 calories per serving.
- Butternut Squash Casserole. Butternut squash is another great ingredient for casseroles as this orange vegetable has a high amount of Vitamin A as well as fiber, potassium and magnesium. It’s got a delicious flavor and goes well with kale, another super food, in this casserole recipe.
Store these recipes in the fridge to provide tasty leftovers for days!