Ok, so leftover roast chicken is quite simply, delicious. We’ll even admit a chicken sandwich (brown bread, maybe a little mayo) is a pretty good lunch.
But in the interests of really making the most of your leftovers, we’ve compiled our five favorite ways to use roast chicken. All healthy, balanced meals and no extra shopping for ingredients the next day.
1. Roast Chicken Soup with Roasted Vegetables. The great thing about this soup is that if you’ve got leftover roast veggies too then half the work is done for you! This rich, herby soup is packed with nutrition and makes a great lunch or dinner.
2. Vietnamese Shredded Chicken Salad. This bright and colorful salad takes a few simple ingredients like fresh peppers, carrots and cabbage, and adds a big dose of wow factor with a Vietnamese-style dressing. If you’re taking the salad to work, add the dressing just before serving to keep it crunchy.
3. Chicken Chili with Sweet Potatoes. Instead of reaching for ground red meat to make chili, roast chicken results in a lighter dish that’s still big on flavor! Adding sweet potatoes increases the fiber content, as well as providing you with potassium and vitamin A!
4. Chicken and Broccoli Rice Bowl. Rice bowls make cooking super easy, not to mention super delicious. Raid your store cupboards to make this simple midweek dinner that you can have on the table in about 20 minutes. Swap out rice for quinoa if that’s your thing!
5. Chicken Gyros with Cucumber Salsa and Tsatsiki. Ok, so there’s bread, but this is absolutely not a sandwich. This is a fresh lunch packed with crunchy vegetables, tangy yoghurt sauce and moist roast chicken – tasty enough to transport you to a Greek island! And minus all the oil that usually goes into a gyros recipe to boot.
What are you top recipes with chicken leftovers? Let us know in the comments!