Welcome to the Empowered Fitness Food Blog! Our first post is going to be a super delicious, healthy, and easy afternoon meal: our Chickpea Spring Salad.
Who doesn’t have a can of chickpeas, aka garbanzo beans, hanging out in the back of their pantry? Well, now is your chance to use them! They are a great source of fiber, with one serving, or ½ a cup, filling 25% of your daily value.
The other awesome thing about this dish is that you can switch out the other ingredients depending on your preferences and what’s in your fridge. Don’t like tomatoes? Add a red pepper. Forgot to buy a cucumber? How about some kale. This recipe is all about the substitutions!
Makes 3 servings
1 can of chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans)
2 Roma tomatoes
1/8 cup of feta
3 tablespoons of olive oil/avocado oil
1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon of paprika
1/4 teaspoon of cumin
pinch of cayenne pepper (if you like it a little spicy!)
salt to taste
Pro Tip: If you’d like to make this a complete meal including all your macronutrients (protein, carbs and fat) then consider adding in a portion of lean protein such as diced chicken, tuna or firm tofu!
- Wash and cut the tomatoes and cucumber into bite-sized pieces. Put them in a medium-sized bowl when you are finished.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of oil into a medium sauté pan (we used avocado oil for cooking and olive oil for the dressing).
- Remove the water from your can of chickpeas and put them in the pan. Sprinkle your paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt on top!
- Turn the stove on high until you can hear the oil bubble, and then switch it to medium for 3 minutes. Use a wooden spatula to make sure the chickpeas don’t stick or burn.
- Add the sautéed chickpeas to your bowl with the tomatoes and cucumber.
- Now for the dressing! This salad is so easy; you can dress it right in the bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and ½ tablespoon lemon juice to the bowl, with a pinch of salt.
- Now mix it all up thoroughly!
- Final touch: sprinkle 1/8 of a cup of feta cheese on top. Enjoy!
This dish keeps quite well, so it’s great to make some at the beginning of the week and have it available in the fridge as a ready-made meal! Just hold the feta until it’s time to eat.
We’d love to hear your feedback or if you added something that made this Chickpea Spring Salad even more tasty. Let us know in the comments!