Welcome to the GetLean Challenge Diaries! This blog series will follow one GLC participant during the inaugural Challenge this fall. Carmen’s GetLean Challenge journey will be accompanied by delicious recipes and helpful nutrition tips that are GLC-approved!
After a very tempting first few days that included carb laden family visits and a kids birthday party full of sweets, I started to get into the groove! The last two days have been much easier on the snacking front. I still want to snack sometimes, usually in the early afternoon, but it’s not constant anymore. I have started to realize just how often I used to eat out of boredom!
I have been drinking as much water as I can, which is definitely a lot more than before the GetLean Challenge. I find it helps with snacking urges. I have also been walking longer distances everyday and my clothes feel better on me in just a few days! That might be water weight, but it still feels really good to notice a change. I can’t wait to see the results after a whole week when I go in for my weekly check-in!
Five Tips To Stop Snacking
- Focus on your food. The modern world is all about multitasking, but try to make the conscious effort to put down your phone or turn off the television while eating. If you pay more attention to your food you will feel fuller after a meal!
- Eat more volume. The amount of rice per BLOCK in the GetLean Challenge is way less than the amount of, say, spinach. Make sure you are filling your plate with foods that take up more space, then you take more bites and feel satiated.
- Chew some gum. Sometimes all you need to do is chew! Your body isn’t actually hungry, it’s just used to munching at all hours of the day. Try a piece of your favorite gum to keep your mouth occupied.
- Notice when you are stressed. Suddenly craving that break room donut after a difficult meeting? Take a minute to ask yourself if you are really hungry or just stressed. Most of the time it’s the latter! Give yourself another outlet, like a walk around the block or playing your favorite game on your phone for 10 minutes. We all need a break sometimes; it just doesn’t need to always involve a donut.
- Brush your teeth. Have you ever tried to eat an orange after brushing your teeth? Ick! Many foods just don’t hold the same appeal after your mouth is minty fresh. Give it a try!
Do you have a helpful trick that stops you from snacking? Share in the comments!