With summer solstice just past, today’s recipe is a perfectly refreshing summertime salad! Since watermelon and summer are practically synonymous, this is our star ingredient. A lot of people assume this tasty fruit is made up of water and sugar. And although watermelon is 92% water, it is actually considered a nutrient dense food! Watermelon is a great source of vitamins, particularly Vitamin A and Vitamin C. Check out our recipe below for a flavorful salad perfect for any summer cookout.
4 cups of seedless watermelon
6 cups of arugula
4 oz. of feta cheese
1/4 cup of mint leaves
3 tablespoons of EVOO
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 pinches of salt
- Remove the rind of the watermelon and cut into one inch cubes.
- Crush the mint with your hands to release the flavor and slice into small strips.
- Combine the watermelon, arugula, feta cheese, and mint in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the EVOO, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and salt in a small bowl to create the dressing.
- Add the dressing to the large bowl of ingredients and toss.
Pro Tip: If you are bringing this dish to a barbecue, store the dressing separately until it’s time to eat.
What’s your favorite summertime fruit? Let us know in the comments!