Hello Internet! My name’s Mackenzie and I am participating in the May Nutrition Program at Empowered Fitness in Half Moon Bay, California. I will be documenting my journey on this blog, every Monday and Friday, as well as sharing yummy, healthy recipes! Let’s do this thing!
Officially into Week Three! Once you really get into the groove, it’s pretty amazing how this way of eating becomes a part of your day to day. In the beginning it was hard to find time to eat four times a day, as I was used to eating a small breakfast and one or two other meals, as well as snacking throughout the day. But now it is a part of my schedule as much as showering or sleeping.
Still, sometimes we don’t have time to cook, especially when we are running around doing errands or jamming to finish a work project in the afternoon. The afternoon meal is known in the program as meal three and is very important! Below I have listed five easy third meal ingredients that you don’t need to cook in any way!
- Canned Tuna. Great in a sandwich or in a salad, this protein-packed fish is easy to use in a variety of meals. Just add a teaspoon of olive oil mayo per ounce!
- String Cheese. This childhood snack is a great go to for your afternoon meal. Read the backs of the packages to find the one with the least saturated fat, we like Lucerne.
- An “Ancient Grain” Tortilla. A delicious carb option, these savory tortillas have added quinoa and brown rice. We actually used them in our Killer Pizza recipe, check it out!
- Cucumber and Hummus. Ok ok, this is technically two ingredients. But if you need something filling without the bread, try this combo! It never fails to leave me satisfied, especially if you switch up the type of hummus you use. Ever tried Basil & Sundried Tomato flavor? Delish!
- A PureFit bar. These yummy bars are a 2 block meal all in themselves! They come in a bunch of flavors, everything from Berry Almond Crunch to Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip. We have a variety at the Empowered Fitness studio, come on by to pick up a box!
Do you have a favorite afternoon snack? Tell us in the comments!