Hello Internet! My name’s Mackenzie and I am participating in the May Nutrition Program at Empowered Fitness in Half Moon Bay, California. I will be documenting my journey on this blog, every Monday and Friday, as well as sharing yummy, healthy recipes! Let’s do this thing!
Here we are, going into week 2! The first week was all about getting adjusted to the eating schedule and learning how the whole thing works. I was pretty much glued to my program binder during meal prep to make sure I was doing the right measurements! I feel more comfortable with everything now and though I still reference my handy dandy binder regularly, it’s not quite such unfamiliar territory.
One obstacle for everyone doing the Nutrition Program is cravings! Whether its chocolate, wine, or burritos, everyone has that one thing that makes the pleasure centers in their brain light up like fireworks on the Fourth of July. This program is meant to help curb these cravings with regular meals, a balance of macronutrients, and an awesome support system, but sometimes it’s still hard! Personally, I have been craving Round Table pizza like nobody’s business. So, today’s recipe is a killer pizza that is quick to make, TDC-friendly and will help curb those junk food cravings!
One Serving, 3 block meal
1 7” whole wheat tortilla, 2 blocks carbs (New Leaf has an awesome “Ancient Grains” tortilla that is delicious & nutritious)
¼ cup of marinara sauce (look at the ingredients and make sure there is no sugar!)
¾ cup green peppers, 1 block carb (or veggie of your choice)
¼ cup onions, see above block
2 teaspoons EVOO, 2 blocks fat
1 oz. shredded mozzarella, 1 block protein
2 oz. shredded chicken breast, 2 blocks protein
10 small black olives, 1 block fat
- Put one teaspoon of EVOO in a medium sauté pan and over the bottom of the pan with water. Add the peppers and onions and let simmer on medium (or medium low, depending on how hot your stove runs).
- Watch the pan while laying out your tortilla on a microwaveable plate and measuring the marinara sauce. Once the water has simmered off, usually after 3-5 minutes, add the other teaspoon of EVOO and a splash of water. Use a spatula to move the veggies around so they don’t burn.
- Once the onions caramelize, turn off the burner and set the pan aside.
- Spread the marinara sauce evenly on the tortilla. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella and shredded chicken breast over the sauce.
- Pop the half-finished pizza in the microwave for 1 minute, or until the cheese melts.
- Add the cooked veggies and olives to the pizza.
Pro Tip: Knife and fork may be needed, as the carb base of the pizza is thinner than traditional pizza.
How do you beat the cravings? Tell us in the comments!